Tangled Contrasts, 14x11

Tangled Contrasts, 14x11
Tangled Contrasts, 14x11

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

And the good news is…

Busy? Yeah a little. Doing work that pays for the work I love doing has gotten on the heavy side of the seesaw. But the good news is some things pay off, in their own way. I wrote earlier this year about the Mapping the Familiar project I was a part of. I am pleased to say my map "An Incidence of Bridges" has been accepted for publication in Strokes of Genius 5 to be published next fall 2013. I had entered a piece - "Dreamland", that had been published in the first Strokes of Genius several years ago. So that is some of the good news.

Other good news is I have a well attended one day workshop coming up at the Hyde Collection next week. It got switched from the 10th to the 31st. I am gathering my thoughts on how to get across the idea of the joy of painting plein air, how to work in pastel, about choosing a scene that one adjusts for composition, color and value - all in one day. Stay tuned for that.

Other workshops are filling including the Adirondack Plein Air 5-Day Workshop at White Pine Camp  in September.

Workshops and Saturday Plein Air Painters keep me charged up. I have to do it and while others benefit from the workshops and the painting, I feel like it is all just for me. By getting these events going and being immersed in the work and the painting, I feel like I get more out of it than the participants. I hope that my enthusiasm catches others and it gets into their own work.

I do need to get back to the other work. I will make a better attempt at writing a bit and more often.

I'll leave you with a couple of images quite opposite each other but both from my hand.
An Incidence of Bridges and Dreamland.







2 comments: